a new mama’s to-do list

while we make the transition from Utah to Arizona, i have some wonderful guest bloggers lined up to fill in on the blog. i hope you enjoy their awesome posts and show them all the love & respect they deserve!

i am so grateful for Margot of Newfoundlander at Heart and her post today!
when i read her post for the first time i remembered all too well the feelings of being a new mother and wanting to do everything possible still.
i know i pushed myself hard and it took me almost a year to realize it when i finally broke down.
i wish i didn’t rush it as much as i did and took the time to slowly, ease-in to my new role and to accomplishing my mile long to-do list that no matter what will always be there.

i hope you enjoy her post today and it is a great, gentle reminder to slow-down and enjoy the fleeting moments that you will cherish forever!
{you won’t cherish that to-do list!}
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there! I'm Margot from Newfoundlander at Heart. I'm giving Megan a hand with her blog while she and her family are busy moving:) I'm a new mama who aims to live as self-sufficiently as possible. Before baby this meant spending lots of time in the kitchen preparing, preserving, cooking and baking; in the garden, planting and tending; and in my craft corner creating clothing and items for the home.


My son was born mid-May and I knew I would be tired and sore, and need to take time to recover but I was worried that things would slip. Everyone kept telling me I needed to sleep when he was sleeping, and to take time to rest. But I'm not used to sitting around and I found it hard to sit still, and all the while my mental to-do list increased in size. I finally realized that I had to listen to some of these suggestions from others, or it was going to take me a lot longer to recover.


Baby is about two months now, and I am super happy to say I have made a (small) dent in the to-do list. There are of course many of things yet to do, but I am happy to be back to my regular kitchen savvy, gardening guru, creative self. A few things I've accomplished as of late:

Creating a smaller pot garden on the deck, because my regular garden would have been too much; sewing a fun cover for the baby's changing pad, and baking a yummy cake for my sister-in-law. It feels good to be back to some of regular activities, now if only I could get 8 or 9 hours of sleep at once, we'd all be golden! (It might be asking for a lot, but Wendel has slept 9 hours, once, I just didn't go to sleep at the the same time)

So I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but if there are any new moms out there I just want to share that even though it seems like all of your time is spent tending to baby, things will change, and you will get back to some of your pre-baby activities. But don't rush it, take the time your body needs to relax and recover, and enjoy the down time while you have it!

Thanks for having me here today Megan (and readers), I wish you all the best in your move!

xox
Margot

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my profile on "betterbloggernetwork". :)
And thanks for loving my name. ;D

But your Baby is soooo CUTE! <3 <3

I'm sure you'll found your way to yourself. :)

Take care!
Lilienwolf (Lily) ;)

Unknown said...

I had a baby in early April, so I'm right there with you, Margot! He started sleeping 7 or 8 hours a night, and then he hit a growth spurt last week and since then he's been up every 2 or 3 hours at night again. My sweet husband is constantly trying to talk me into taking a nap, but like you, my mind is always ticking away with my own to-do list. It's good to know I'm not the only one out there trying to find the balance between sleep, baby time, and hobby time!

Oh, and your boy is such a cutie!

--Janae
gourmetbyjanae.blogspot.com

Meg said...

That cake looks delicious! Loving your blog! Xo
megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com